Come to the market and attend one of our Gardening Talks, visit our Ask the Experts information tables, or talk with us in our plant areas. We are here to answer your questions.
Join us for 45-minute talks on a variety of gardening topics, held at two different locations at the Spring Garden Market. The list below is for 2015. Stay tuned for the updated list for 2016.
|10:00-10:45 a.m.||Growing Great Tomatoes||Backyard Composting|
|11:00-11:45 a.m.||Growing Great Tomatoes||Love Your Santa Clara County Clay|
|12:00-12:45 p.m.||Pests in Your Garden and What to Do||Irrigation and Food Gardening in Drought Conditions|
Growing Great Tomatoes
We will demonstrate planting techniques, support systems, and water requirements for growing great tomatoes.
We will give an overview of what can be composted in your backyard compost pile, and what compost bins and tools are offered by the County of Santa Clara Home Composting Education Program.
Irrigation and Food Gardening in Drought Conditions
Fruit trees and vegetable plants need regular water to thrive and produce well. Learn about gardening practices that use water wisely in the food garden, so that you can continue to enjoy home-grown produce while conserving water during a drought year.
Love Your Santa Clara County Clay
Clay soil is great! Learn how to turn your clay soil into perfect soil for gardening: the best way to dig, amend, fertilize, and mulch your soil to grow great veggies.
Pests in Your Garden and What to Do
Join us to find out how to deal with garden pests in a sustainable and proactive way using the Integrated Pest Management (IPM) approach. Also learn to recognize the beneficial insects in your garden, find out how to attract them and how to get them to stay.
- Hotline LIVE! Bring your questions and plant samples and learn more about what is in our gardens.
- California Native Plants: Find out more about these plants that are perfectly adapted to our climate
- UC Davis Arboretum All-Stars: Recommended plants selected by the UC Davis Arboretum. Tough, water-wise, and beautiful.
- Gardening with Succulents: Learn more about these popular, drought-tolerant plants
- Tool Care: Keep your tools sharp and in tip-top condition
- Animal Pest Control: Got gophers, moles, voles or other critters?
Tomato, Pepper, Herb, and Flower Questions
Drop by the plant tables in each of our sales areas to talk with Master Gardeners and get your questions answered on growing, harvesting, dealing with problems, special varieties, and more!