Advice to Grow By ... Ask Us!
- Sign up for our monthly Tips and Events e-mail
- Read UCCE Master Gardener Rebecca Jepsen's gardening column, originally published in the San Jose Mercury News and about us In the News.
Have a gardening question? Contact us by telephone, in person, or online. We’re here to help!
La Mesa Verde - Since 2009, UCCE Master Gardeners have partnered with Sacred Heart Community Service providing bilingual educational courses and visiting gardens at the families’ homes to mentor them on how to grow vegetables. Over 100 families are currently active in the program and volunteering to give back as mentors for new families, making La Mesa Verde a true community effort. Archive
As the drought and water restrictions continue, homeowners and gardeners are searching for information on what to do. Learn about waterwise plants and gardening techniques, lawn replacement and rebate programs, gray water usage, and more.
There is currently one quarantine in effect in Santa Clara County, on citrus fruits and trees for the Asian Citrus Psyllid. See our quarantine information to learn more and view quarantine area map. Help contain the spread of this pest.
The Santa Clara County Home Composting Education Program teaches residents how to build compost piles and worm bins, then how to apply the resulting material in their gardens. For more information, contact the ROTLINE 408-918-4640.
Becoming a UC Master Gardener
Interested in becoming a UC Master Gardener in Santa Clara County?
If you are a Santa Clara County resident who enjoys learning and sharing gardening knowledge, we want to talk with you.
We accept new trainees every two years, so if you want to be considered for the Class of 2017, please submit by 5/31/16 your name, phone number and email address using this link. You must attend one informational meeting before receiving an application. Meetings will be held on June 23, June 30, and July 16 in San Jose.
UC Master Gardener Handbook
Save 10% on any UC ANR books ordered online, including the excellent California Master Gardener Handbook, by using our promotion code PRCLA43. A portion of online sales that use our promotion code benefits the UC Master Gardener of Santa Clara County program.
UCCE Master Gardener Program
Our mission is to extend research based knowledge and information on home horticulture, pest management, and sustainable landscape practices to the residents of California and be guided by our core values and strategic initiatives.
UCCE Master Gardener Program Core Values:
- Provide information to teach practical and usable skills, emphasizing “learn-by-doing” methods
- Guide learning and respect others’ viewpoints and abilities
- Encourage improved environmental quality and sustainable gardening practices
- Maintain neutral and unbiased attitudes toward specific commercial products, services and support groups
- Teach new skills, validate achievement, and encourage extending this information to family, friends, and neighbors
- Refrain from soliciting or performing contract services for personal gain while representing UCCE